Jon awoke to a pile of snow one day last week. Musa's car could not make the final ascent to the hospital, so the occupants 'footed' it the rest of the way. Another resident happened by and took mercy on Dr. Jon. , giving him a lift.
There was evidently time in the day to go to the roof of the hospital and toss a bit of snow around. Wonder who suggested that? Must have been a light day at the office! They do look like they are having fun, though.
![]() |
| Walking further down the street we live on..... |
Jon goes home at night to a dark, cold house. If the electricity is on, he turns on the electric heater to raise the temp from the 40's to the 50's in his room. Meanwhile, he turns on the kerosene 'bukharee' in the adjoining room...which has now become the all-purpose room for whomever is living there.
For a couple weeks, Jon was alone in the house. Two housemates have returned and he has someone to talk to and shiver with of evenings. Their rooms seem to be in the 20's and 30's without electricity, so Steve slept behind the stove his first night back. Jon appreciates his hot water bottles.
From Snohomish.....
Marita spent last weekend, Martin Luther King holiday here, at our cabin with the Millers who are co-owners with us. We watched Jessica and friends make the most of the outdoor recreation....sledding down the hill onto the frozen river and ice-skating on Fish Lake. Heather, Scott and I enjoyed the warmth of the wood fire while working on a jigsaw puzzle, reading, snoozing and visiting. We skyped Jon and showed him our snow. It was a restful time together....my third visit to the cabin while home from Kabul!
My surgeon has given me a timeline to work from, as of Monday. Feb. 1, I can shed the brace and start physical therapy. A week later the walker can be retired but I'll have to use a cane til I feel comfortable unassisted. I've been driving since last week. My first trip was to get a pedicure. It felt so good to have someone rub my feet, which I haven't been allowed to bend over to even touch! And my toes look pretty, too. So I'm feeling a bit of freedom.....until nearly a foot of snow fell this week!
Jon and I are looking at the middle of February for my return to Afghanistan. I can't believe I've been home so long......two months! We are grateful for the love and care friends and family have given us
during this unexpected 'furlough.' I've enjoyed the luxury of life here in the U.S.....safety, order, cleanliness, Starbucks, Pork, freedom of worship, plumbing that works, familiar clothing, heat, mail, cultural events, movies....TV!
HOME is confusing to me, as this should feel like home....but Kabul is also home. Another reminder that HOME is where the heart is.....and my heart has been lots of places and stretched to encompass them all. We are blessed to have been embraced by those we've met along the way!


No comments:
Post a Comment