
Tansen is known for it's dhaka cloth, a distinctive weave with many patterns. We have bought some from the many vendors in town. But, we finally got to visit the 'factory' down the hill from the hospital. Thankfully, we hired a driver, as Beth's knee is waiting for surgery and I'd just as soon not walk uphill straight for a kilometer, at least. We had visited the silk factory in Chiang Mai and I had visions of something like that.....well, it's not like that.

Before us was a long row of rough-hewn looms straddling a trench in which the weavers sat. The threads were fed to them from an elaborate set-up over each loom. Having seen the large display of patterns in the shop, I understood the 'ticker-tape' above each loom was what guided the weaver. Beyond that, I don't know how to describe it. Obviously, this is not silk, but wool or cotton. So, the rough surroundings suit the sturdier cloth.
We saw this cloth primarily in the topis that men wear on their heads. Unlike Afghanistan, they do not have a particular significance as to religion, status, or age. Jon is having our tailor make covers for the laptop computer and the i-pad. I have fabric to make sofa pillows of when I get home.
Looking to our right, we saw there was another set of looms in as large a room as we were in....here we see a mother with her child.

This solar panel doubles as a stove, it seems. Maybe that's it's purpose....
In the picture at the right, two of the many visitors from a Kalamazoo, MI
church are with Beth and I. The church has sent a team of electricians, among others, to rewire the hospital in 7 weeks....no small feat!




No comments:
Post a Comment