Tansen, Nepal

Tansen, Nepal
United Mission Hospital Tansen

Monday, May 7, 2012

Going to the Mountains










This is the day.  We won't get any closer than this.  Up at 4:30 and leave with a driver at 5 am for Sarangkot on the north edge of Pokhara.  A village of people are spread out on this ridge that has spectacular views toward the mountains and south....practically sitting on top of Pokhara and Lake Phewa.  They largely serve the tourists who come up here to see the sunrise on the Annapurnas, serving food and selling handicrafts.





This pointed peak (far right) is  Machhapuchhre and looks to be the tallest, but only because it is closer to us.
It is nicknamed Fishtail because of it's twin peaks that look like double fins... from this angle it can't be seen as such.  It sits at 22,943, just missing the 8,000m mark.
Annapurna I is the tallest at 26,545 Ft.  Surprisingly, it is the one in the middle of the landscape here....as it sits father away.  It was the first 8,000 meter peak to be climbed, in June of 1950 by a French expedition. Annapurna holds the highest fatality rate among all 14 eight-thousanders...As of 2005, 56 lives lost and 103 successful climbs.






The beautiful shawl is made of yak wool, possibly by the lady at the loom.
The shopkeeper was loaning them out as it was a long, chilly wait for us.
I resisted buying one as I already had one.  I asked her what Pashmina indicates and she
siad it's the soft baby-like hairs from under the chin of the young yak.


Weaving a beautiful design into a bright shawl.....by hand, each
thread.  It takes about 9 days to make this one.




We were almost the last to leave the
hilltop....just like church!  But, we were
at the hotel eating our breakfast around 7.
Still had a whole day ahead, and we were
tired already!







.

Our adventure for the day was to be
the International Mountain Museum
where the Mountains of the World,  the
people who lived there and their activities
were displayed in various forms.  The Alps of Europe, Taiwan and Japan were included.
Besides displays and recognition of climbers and'the history of the ascents, the flora and fauna were given much attention as conservation has become of ultimate importance.
Jon took this picture from the roof of our hotel...it's a yard
nearby....cow in it's shed and the haystack nearby.
 Their Gurka Restaurant was part of a Village model in the 5-acre complex.  I ordered the Gurka soup and literally could not chew the greens in it. Since that was the bulk of the soup, I ended up consuming the spicy broth....and a banana lassi, a yogurt drink.  

Jon relished his third massage in three days and another swim in the pool. Our final dinner out was a return to the Pepper Steak meal we had the first night.....still good!  Finally we could go to bed. 



Does it get any better than this?

SATURDAY DAWNED....departure scheduled for 1:30 pm.  After our usual breakfast, we headed for the bazaar to find a couple items....and my agenda was to return to the Italian Restaurant that had the gelato.  My lunch was lemon gelato and Mocha Cappuccino!                                                                                    

      


We bought some mangoes, for a fortune, from this man's 'bicycle shop.'  Our driver arrived early so we went to the big Saleway Grocery and saw a slice of life in the rest of Pokhara along the way.  







Notice all the cycles and scooters.....and, of course, the cow.  I had missed getting a photo of the water buffalo meandering down the street, so was glad Jon caught this one.
  



This lady is roasting corn over an open fire to sell to bystanders...in the husk...on her own little barbecue. 




And then it was time to climb back up the hills to Tansen and see the sights in reverse.  We will not be coming this way again, as we leave for the USA via another route to the south of Tansen. We are glad we got to come and enjoy this part of Nepal.

Something I've noticed and enjoyed about the people here is their unhurried, casual way with each other.  It's very common to see the men or women in conversation with each other, either on the road or on the stoop.  I imagine their problems and conversations are a lot like ours and they find companionship and support from their neighbors.  Our life seems easier (View The Gods Must Be Crazy again to reassess that!) but theirs is simpler, tho harder in some regards....survival is at stake for them.  The Underdeveloped Countries want to have all that we have in the Western world......will they be happier, or better for it?  Those questions haunt me. I don't think we are happier for all the stuff we have, and want even more of.  Living out of suitcases for a year reminds me that I don't need as much as I have!  I am getting tired of wearing the same clothes, though!
                                                                 
See the water flooded rice paddy?  Bottom land is found, too....and rivers.
Villages tend to be high on hills...why?








1 comment: